Want to travel? Want to represent your Girl Scout Council? We're looking for a few good Girl Scouts to serve as our council's delegates at the 2017 National Girl Scout Session as a part of the G.I.R.L. Conference in Ohio! All members ages 14 and up are invited to apply by January 31, 2017, to be a voting delegate with the opportunity to enjoy an experience you will never forget! Travel expenses are paid by the council for National Delegates who are selected. In years past, the council has selected 2 adults and 2 girls to accompany the CEO and Board Chair at the conference.
In October 2017, the National Girl Scout Council will convene its next triennial session. Every Girl Scout council is entitled to send a specified number of delegates (we’ll learn later this year how many we get) to serve as voting members of the National Council. National delegates and alternates are selected by our Board Development Committee from the applications received. The applicants will then be presented to our council's membership for adoption at the Annual Meeting in April 2017.
If chosen to be one of our voting delegates, you will:
- represent GSGMS at the 2017 National Council Session/54th National Convention of Girl Scouts of the USA on Oct. 4-8, 2017 in Columbus, Ohio (all expenses paid!)
- help elect the National Board of Directors
- make decisions about the future of the Girl Scout movement during a three-year term (April 2017 to April 2020)
- GSGMS is searching for a highly qualified pool of candidates for a limited number of voting member positions.
Nominees must be willing to commit to:
- Attending all local orientation and preparation meetings prior to the National Convention - may be conference calls.
- Studying the National Council Meeting Agenda.
- Understanding Girl Scouts of Greater Mississippi's stance on actions to be taken by the National Council (delegates may vote independently, based on the best interests of Girl Scouting as a whole).
- Attending all National Council meetings and reporting National Council actions to Girl Scouts of Greater Mississippi.
- Knowing parliamentary procedures and how to use them.
- Participating as a national delegate for the entire three-year period of 2017 – 2020.
Eligibility requirements (Every delegate must be):
A citizen of the United States of America
A registered member of Girl Scouts of Greater Mississippi
14 years of age or older as of October 1, 2017
Able to represent the points of view of various ethnic, racial, education, civic, religious and socioeconomic groups
Willing to prepare thoroughly on the issues and business that will come before the National Council
What do we look for in a delegate?
Ask yourself a few questions: Are you able to express ideas and facts in a clear manner? See the bigger picture and think long-term? Then you might want to consider applying to become a delegate.
Adult Delegates should be good role models and are expected to assist with supervising Girl Delegates in their activities. Girl Delegates should be mature enough to travel with a group responsibly.
The slate for the 2017 National Council Delegates is developed by the Board Development Committee and presented for election to the Council Delegates at the April 29, 2017, Annual Meeting. If selected, attendance at the Annual Meeting is expected.
National Delegate training and role responsibilities begin in the spring of 2017.
The council will arrange registration, lodging and travel for National Delegates; Alternates only in the event attendance is required.
If you are interested in applying to be a National Council Delegate, please download and complete an application and return it by January 31, 2017.
Save the date for National Convention: October 4-8, 2017, Columbus, Ohio
Columbus is a vibrant metropolitan area with a lively arts and entertainment scene, great shopping, one of the country’s most innovative food scenes, and a wide range of professional sports teams. It’s also home to Ohio State and Big Ten sports, and the Center of Science and Industry (COSI), where they make science fun for kids and where more than one million Girl Scouts have participated in the COSI Camp-In. There’s always something fun happening in Ohio’s capital city, and in October 2017, that fun will be our next Girl Scout National Convention. So mark your calendars now to join us in Columbus! Even if you are not a council delegate, look into being a part! The opportunity to participate is open for all girls or adults that are involved with girls!